Just photos of us, family and friends.

Monday, December 25, 2006

Grammy Opens Presents

When I arrived this morning for my Christmas morning visit at Loretto, Grammy was gathered in a circle of residents watching a holiday movie in the lounge. I was delighted to see that her wheelchair was parked next to an easy chair, where an aide was sitting holding her hand. It pleases me to think of her receiving affection like that from the staff. Many people there, staff and patients alike, have told me how much they enjoy Margaret, because she is so good-natured and friendly all the time. I almost felt bad tearing Grammy away from the cozy scene, but I'd come bearing gifts and didn't have enough for everyone.


So I took her down to her room, and got her started with the opening. I'd only brought her two small gifts, but had two gifts to deliver from Rob&Vonnie, one from Tom&Rita, and one from Rosy. I remembered how she's always used scissors to cut the tape on her packages, and unearthed those to speed things along. Even so, it took her the better part of an hour to open all six gifts. I watered the plants, and hid the scissors away again (Grammy became quite taken for a while with the notion of cutting open the cushion on her wheelchair). I let her sample two holiday chocolates, and then moved them out of reach, not wanting her to fill up and miss the special Christmas lunch. She had chicken cordon bleu and twice cooked potatoes, and was digging in with gusto when I left.


And one final shot, of Grammy and me:



Photos by Sara, 12/25/06.

1 comment:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Thanks so much for spending part of your Christmas with Grammy! I really appreciate it! I hope the rest of your day was wonderful too!